Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, September 19, 2022

Bon Mots

Chevron Hillsboro

1) It's 5PM and my better half decides she needs fuel in her get-around-town machine, so I takes it to Chevron. They may charge a little more, like a dime per gallon, but they don't have the horrendous lines you find a Fred Meyers or Costco, so it's worth it to me, just to avoid the annoyance of playing monkey-move-up*. I always hated that game (baseball for elementary school kids). I think I may have been a little hyper-active. Anyway, the Chevron station is usually pretty empty, maybe just one or two other cars there, but today it's busy, not full, but busy. Soze I pull in and remark to the pump dude that it's 'happy hour at the feed pump'. When he's done he offers me a receipt and accept, telling him, 'I want the boss to know how much I love her'.  17 gallons at $5 a gallon comes to $85. Who loves ya baby?

2) The answer to one of today's word puzzles was trice, as in 'in a trice', which diligent daughter had never heard. I haven't heard it in a long time, but I instantly recalled the meaning, which is like immediately or in a moment or something. In any case, it isn't the same as thrice which means three times.

DOSS SoundBox $30

3) Bought a new Bluetooth speaker so we could listen to tunes out on the patio. It works fine, sounds better than the laptop. It doesn't have a volume knob, but it has this touch ring on top for adjusting the volume which is almost as good. Can't really tell how much I have changed it, you have to rely on what you hear from the speakers. It also issues very annoying beeps sometimes. I haven't quite figured out what that's all about. Maybe I've reached the maximum setting? Has a mini-stereo jack so I can connect to my desktop when I go inside. It's Bluetooth so out on the patio I can use my smart phone to supply the tunes. 

Okay, that's all fine and well, but I disconnect it from the desktop computer, switch to Bluetooth mode and stick in my pocket. It's not very big and my pockets are big enough. I mix up a boiler maker** and head out to the patio and I hear music coming from the speaker in my pocket. Well, that's cool, but where's it coming from? I don't have any apps running on my phone. Well, it's Bluetooth, maybe it's picking somebody else's Bluetooth broadcast. Now, all the tunes sound like my kind of tunes, which kind of points back to me as being the source. So what's going on here? Who knows, but that first tune, Hypnotize, that's so familiar I feel like I should know it, but I can't name it, so I ask Google and I use the voice recognition thing (the microphone icon) to ask, and as soon I tap the icon the music stops? Waaah? Well, evidently the tunes are coming from my phone. Effing computers, sneaking around behind my back doing all kinds of things I never authorized. Who knows what else they are doing? Plotting world domination, no doubt.


Fleetwood Mac hypnotized
vickie burns

Since I have been mostly playing Youtube playlists compiled from my blog, I thought maybe I had posted this tune once before, but if I did, I neglected to include the title. Blogger's search function couldn't find it.

Google has apparently never heard of monkey-move-up. Basically, it lets you play with fewer players. After a player has his time at the plate, everybody playing on the field moves up one position. I think the pitcher, or maybe the catcher, becomes the next batter, and whoever is out moves to the outfield.

** boiler maker - one shot of bourbon in a glass of beer


1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

Correction - one shot of Bourbon minimum in a beer. Your mileage may vary. LoL