Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, April 8, 2023

Perry Mason Season 2 - HBO Series


Perry Mason Season 2 Trailer
Rotten Tomatoes TV

I've just recently figured out that the characters are what makes or breaks a show for me. I like knowing who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. I want to cheer for the hero and boo the villain. It's nice to have a coherent plot and spectacular scenery, but they aren't really necessary.

In this show we've got plenty of characters, both good guys and bad guys, and the principles are all old familiar characters. Of course they've been changed up, Della Street and Hamilton Burger (the District Attorney) are both gay and Paul Drake (the investigator) is black, but this isn't much of a stretch. Hamilton has always been a villain, so making him gay just makes him that much sleazier. I don't recall that Della ever had any men in her life, so making her gay kind of explains that. The original Paul Drake always struck me as too flashy in the original series. I mean, how is he going to slip in unnoticed anywhere? You want someone who is willing to get their hands dirty, so an unemployed black man during the Great Depression easily fits the bill.





1 comment:

Matthew said...

First thoughts, script written with very contemporary sounding dialog, behaviors and situations, yet the story is supposed to be depression era. It just feels weird. Similar to watching action films where the laws of physics are trampled with every stunt. As I'm watching, it may be entertaining enough to start but the checks in the minus column just build up to eyeroll level and I can't watch anymore, it just stops being entertainment.