Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Dad Burn Electronikal Gizmos

Every time I turn on the big screen TV it asks if I want an update. No, I don't want an update, it works just fine the way it is, but I do want you to stop asking me about it. But it's a stupid box, there is only one right answer, so today I break down and agree. Now follows many seconds of various forms of horse-puckey being flashed on the screen until we get to the part where I have sign my life away on some 'end user agreement'. Of course, I can't just click OK, I have to scroll through the blasted thing to get to the OK at the bottom. We get another series of restarts and balderdash and finally we are back in business.

Except we aren't. What I've got on the big screen is supposed to be a mirror of what's on my laptop. Up until I did this update, it always has been, but now it's got the screen saver image. How is that even possible? Eventually I realize that the laptop is sending that image over the wire, so something in the update to the software in the TV must have triggered a bit in the laptop that tells it to send this image instead of mirroring the internal screen. Criminently. I supposed there might be some reason for this, but it's not helping me, it's just making me think LG is stupid.

I enlist dutiful daughter to help me sort it out. She points and clicks and eventually finds a check box in 'settings' that is marked 'mirror internal screen' and it isn't checked. It takes several attempts to set it and plugging and upplugging the HDMI cable to get things synced back up, but eventually we are back where I started before I started this stupid update procedure.

Fie on you, LG.

No comments: