Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Different Strokes


What are DIFFERENTIAL THREADS #864 tubalcain
mrpete222

I enjoyed the heck out of this video. Shortly after I graduated high school, I got a job in a machine shop in the radiology department at the OSU hospital in Columbus, Ohio. I spent maybe a year there making widgets for the guys who were doing stuff with radiation. I don't think I ever met any of those who were deciding what we were going to build, I mean somebody had to be making those decisions, I certainly wasn't. But we built some very odd stuff. I may have posted about it before, I don't recall. Actually there is a whole lot of stuff in this blog that I don't remember posting. I am sure I did it, it looks just like something I would do, so I don't think someone else is sneaking in here and planting subversive information, I'm doing it all myself.

'tubalcain' in the video title sounded familiar, but I couldn't recall who it was, so I asked the great and powerful Google and I found a bunch of stuff. First off the origin:

Tubal Cain

Google didn't serve up much in the way of images of Tubal, this one is missing the fire and the forge, but at least you can clearly see a man with a hammer. Science Photo Gallery offers this description:
Tubal Cain is mentioned in the book of Genesis as the son of Lamech and Zillah. He is referred to as an instructor of every artificer in brass and iron" in other words the first smith and the inventor of metal working (metallurgy). The name Tubal Cain plays a prominent part in Masonic rituals as a password.Taken from a 14th century fresco.


Okay, now that we know who the original is we can move on to a couple of oddities. 

Tubalcain YouTube Award

This is an award made by trainman4602 for Tubalcain when hit fourteen million views on YouTube.


Wreck of the Tubal Cain

The Tubal Cane was a big canal boat that was wrecked in Lake Michigan in 1867. She was carrying 18,000 bushels of wheat, all of which was lost, but the crew all escaped. The odd thing about it is how much the Wisconsin Historical Society knows about it. It was just one of a zillion commercial vessels that have plied the great lakes. I'm surprised that it has become immortal here on the internet.

Via Marc


No comments: