Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, April 23, 2023

New Desk

New Desk with Chromebox and Sceptre display

My wife helped me purge my paper files last weekend. It's something I had been meaning to do for years, but somehow I never got a round toit. I had two file drawers in Steelcase desk crammed full of important papers. We went through and funny enough, most of those important papers were useless. I am left with maybe a foot of files. We're going to need to make second pass through that. I imagine we will cut it in half. 

Cleaned out the bottom shelf of my bookcase, too. It held a bunch of 3-ring binders full of technical notes from my time at Intel. Most of that stuff is obsolete. No doubt there are still places that are using old Multibus computer equipment, but those that are, probably have all the information they need. When I started at Intel, I was big on filing every bit of technical information that came my way. No internet back then. After a while, I realize that filing something was like dropping it in a black hole. I never saw it again, so I start making notebooks, one for each particular subject / product / system, and kept those notebooks on a bookshelf in my office. That worked much better, especially since the notebooks had clear, legible labels. Never made that change at home, probably because I didn't access those files every day, I only opened them up maybe once or twice a month. 

This weekend we're clearing out old furniture in preparation for the big remodeling project. Wonderful, big, old oak desk is going to the garage sale, my old steelcase desk went to younger son, and I got my wife's  fancy basement table. See how shiny it is!

Previous iterations of my office PC here.


No comments: