Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, May 21, 2023

Winnie the Pooh

Chapter V - IN WHICH PIGLET MEETS A HEFFALUMP

One of my favorite stories to tell my kids is the one where Winnie the Pooh and Piglet take some presents to Eeyore's birthday party. It's such a great story I thought I ought to share, but when I looked it up I found I didn't have it quite right. In my mind, Pooh suspects that his present for Eeyore, a jar of honey, might not be all honey, there might be cheese in there. Turns out that is from the previous chapter about Heffalumps:

As soon as he got home, he went to the larder; and he stood on a chair, and took down a very large jar of honey from the top shelf. It had HUNNY written on it, but, just to make sure, he took off the paper cover and looked at it, and it looked just like honey. "But you never can tell," said Pooh. "I remember my uncle saying once that he had seen cheese just this colour." So he put his tongue in, and took a large lick. "Yes," he said, "it is. No doubt about that. And honey, I should say, right down to the bottom of the jar. Unless, of course," he said, "somebody put cheese in at the bottom just for a joke. Perhaps I had better go a little further ... just in case ... in case Heffalumps don't like cheese ... same as me.... Ah!" And he gave a deep sigh. "I was right. It is honey, right the way down."

The jar of honey gets devoured on the way to the birthday party simply because Pooh got the munchies.

 

1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

Simply because Pooh got the munchies?
Are you saying he was lying to us?
Or he was lying to himself?
Not just flawed thinking?