Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Quote of the Day

Then he began to talk about how professional football players shouldn't be asked to pay taxes. "What's the difference to the rest of the country?" he said. "What's as important as a good pro football game? Nothing, right? So why not encourage people to play it. Pay them big enormous salaries and don't take no taxes out."
"I have to agree with you," Johno said.
"A thing important like that, we should make sure the caliber of play stays good," Lou said.
From "World Without End, Amen" by Jimmy Breslin, from 1973, page 46. This just stunned me when I read it. Nothing is as important as a good pro football game? Not in my book. To me it's one of the least important things. On the other hand it is kind of like an indicator species for the health of our society.

Me, I have a hard time watching football, but I am glad I live in a country where athletics is a big part of the culture. Physical activity is a big part of human nature, and athletics gives people a peaceful outlet for that, unlike some parts of the world, where the biggest sport seems to be blowing people up. So, yeah, maybe pro football is important.

No comments: