Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

New Tires



I've been stalling on this as long as I could, but today I need to go to Beaverton, it's raining and my truck is the only vehicle available. Normally I go to Les Schwab, because of their attitude I suppose. But we only have one income now and a set of new tires from Les is going to run better than $700. It would be $800, but they're on sale. Carothers Tire has been advertising used tires on TV and I'm thinking if I could get a set of decent used tires for $100, or shoot, even $200, it might be worth the hassle. It takes me two tries to muster up the gumption to go deal with these guys, whoever they are, but today I finally did it. Compared to Les Schwab, the place is a rat hole. Grubby, beat up, no amenities, but I am not here for genteel conversation. One of the guys leads me back to where the tires are stored to take a look at the used tires. They are pretty sad, and not much of a bargain either, something like $240 for four. Well, we're here, what have you got in the way of new tires. Here's some pretty ones for $500, and here's some heavy duty ones for $580.

Pretty tires for $500, street tread, not mud grip, no white lettering. Sounds good. So now I have tires. The last tires I had were the bargain tires from Schwab and they had the mud grip tread and they were noisy. I park on the street along the curb, so white lettering is a no-no. It inevitably gets rubbed against the curb and starts to look pretty wretched. Putting white lettering must cost something, so why buy it if it's going to cause trouble? Black walls should be cheaper, and cheaper is what I'm looking for. And the guys working there were just fine, no BS, very pleasant to deal with.

While I was waiting I walked uptown to get something to eat. I settled for a scone and a cup of coffee at The Stratford House. Big improvement over Saturday's coffee. Okay, I still had to pour it myself, and the price was $1.35, which wasn't much better, but I did get a ceramic cup and a place to sit inside out of the cold. Take that, New Seasons.

Update January 2017 replaced missing picture.

No comments: