Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, May 24, 2013

Microwave Bacon


I like bacon, and I really like the giant Costco economy pack of precooked bacon. Just throw a couple three strips on a plate in the microwave and 15 seconds later, presto! Bacon, ready to eat. Not only is it quick, it's doesn't make a huge mess, and the best part is I am not stuck wondering what to do with the left over grease. My mom used to save it in a can. Presumably she did something with it, but I never found out what. All I knew is that she saved it. Everybody warns you not to pour grease down the drain, but I figure if you run enough hot water afterwards it will get flushed away, especially since we have those new fangled plastic drain pipes that aren't going to suck the heat out of the water like the old cast iron ones would. But here Kirkland/Costco is taking care of that problem for me. Presumably, being an economy minded business they would find some use for all that bacon grease, so I am not being just a self-centered piggish consumer, I am also helping to save the environment, er, bacon grease. I wonder what they do with it.
    I have been using a regular ceramic plate to heat the bacon on, and fifteen seconds would be enough to get it hot. Our dishwasher broke down a couple of days ago so today I used a paper plate and I had to heat the bacon for 25 seconds to get it hot. I would think that a paper plate would not have that kind of effect. The ceramic plate is Corelle, a glass plate from Corning, and they get as hot or hotter than the food placed on them. This generally is okay as it helps keep the food warm. A regular, microwave safe plate that does not get hot will suck the heat out of the food making your meal cold quicker. I have seen paper plates catch fire in the microwave, so I suppose the paper could be absorbing more energy than the ceramic, but I have never noticed them getting that hot, except when they actually catch on fire.

No comments: