Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Tape Recorders

Grundig Reel-to-Reel Tape Recorder (c. 1962)

Every Blade of Grass has a post up about working on old tape recorders. It sounds a lot like me working on broken computer stuff. Unlike me, he seems to sometimes fix things. But his post got me thinking about the tape recorders I've encountered and the first one was the Grundig we had at home when I was a kid. I think we got it from an aunt who had some kind of hot shot job with the state department and was getting posted to all sorts of foreign countries. I don't think this one ever worked.

Sometime when I was around 20 I had another reel-to-reel machine and one tape of rock and roll tunes. Ten years later when I got out of college and got my first job that paid real money, I decided I needed a stereo system and that meant buying a cassette deck. I may even have gotten a few cassettes to play on it, but I don't remember getting much use out of it.

I bought a new pickup truck 20 odd years ago and it came with a cassette deck. I made a half-assed attempt at acquiring a collection of tapes, but I never got enough tapes to keep me amused. I still have a few dozen, but I don't think I've played any of them in years. At least I think I still have them. Might have gotten rid of them, and if I haven't I probably should.

Nowadays it's all YouTube Music and my smart phone.

No comments: