Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, March 12, 2023

Oscar Awards for Stunts


The Gray Man | Tram Fight Scene
Filmotion

No, there still are no Oscar awards for stunts, so Vulture decided to award their own. They have a bunch of categories and a list of nominees for each category. Most of those nominees also have a link to a video of the relevant scene. It might take you a couple of hours to watch all of them. While the stunts are impressive, most of them didn't do much for me as they were extracted from a story that I wasn't familiar with, so I had no emotional connection to the scene.

Just so you know, Tom Cruise flying jet fighters in Tom Gun won top honors. I've seen the movie and I've seen the clips and they were great, but a little Tom Cruise goes a long way.

I liked The Gray Man scene (above) the best, mostly because it's just so over the top. Six kinds of hand-to-hand combat on a train being chased by a car being chased by a van with an autocannon, downtown. Brings a smile to my face.

There were a couple others that impressed me.
  • Triangle of Sadness (The Boat Tilt/Toilets Explosion). It slowly becomes gross and disgusting but after a minute or two it becomes funny. I can't tell you why.
  • The Big 4 (The Compound Siege). A couple of girls take on a squad of mercenaries. Totally unrealistic, but very satisfying.
  • Vikram (Vikram’s Giant Gun). A man employs an autocannon effectively, so effectively that the end of the barrel starts glowing red. Yeah, that's the way to do it.

No comments: