Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, December 1, 2023

The RaLa Experiment: Key to the Atomic Bomb


The RaLa Experiment: Key to the Atomic Bomb
Our Own Devices

I've heard parts of this story before, but there's a lot I hadn't heard. I knew about the gaseous diffusion process at Oak Ridge, but I hadn't heard about the other two methods. I'd heard about the spherical implosion design and the bridge wire detonators, but never any explanation of why it was necessary. And fizzle, as in a bomb that sort of blows up but doesn't really, was new to me as well.

1 comment:

Ritchie said...

Because of the critical wartime need for copper, the magnets for the magnetic separation machine were wound with wire made from silver borrowed from the Treasury.