Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Toyota Tundra Starter Replacement

From an email exchange this morning with Iowa Andy:
Subject: Re: ? Online automotive repair manual ?

Hi,

Do you have any experience with Online automotive repair manual ?

Like www.ChiltonDIY.com or others?

I thought my Tundra battery was bad, two tests at two different shops
says battery is OK.
Clerk suggested starter, which I ordered $80.00 + core.
Googling at home I find the symptoms match corroded starter contacts,
$8.00
Either way, to get to the starter involves removing intake manifold.

Andy



I bought a one year subscription to Mitchell's for the Sebring. $30. I think it was Mitchell. I suppose it's okay. We shall see if I ever get around to working on the car.

Doesn't the Tundra have a V-8? That would put the intake manifold on top of the engine. Where is the starter?

How much does the Toyota shop want to do the job?

ccp


Yes V8 4.7 liter, same as Lexus LX470 SUV
Yes intake on top.
Starter is on top, under intake manifold.
Looks like $800 $900 at dealer.
Found: www.alldatadiy.com
at the www.autozone.com
site which has limited free information.

And I thought I had problems.

2 comments:

CGHill said...

Well, now I feel better. I had to get the starter replaced on my Infiniti a couple years ago, and it was around $400.

Checking with ALLDATAdiy (to which I have subscribed for about a decade), it's $257.80 plus 0.9 hour of labor, which with tax and all the other little ways a shop has to inflate the bill comes to right around $400.

Anonymous said...

I just subscribed to Alldata (then found the $600 Toyota shop manual on ebay as a CD for $10.00)
For the 2005 Toyota Tundra the starter price is $277 to $306 the labor is Warranteed @2.1 hours or staqndard (out of warantee) @ 4.0 hours.
So my 2nd hand info about $800 for R&I the starter, was bit high.