Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Vorkosigan's Game


Vorkosigan's Gameby Lose McMaster Bujold
Beset by demons, I felt the need for some escapist fantasy, so I ordered up a couple of books from the Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. (Does she really need all three names? I would think that any two of them would be enough to identify her.) I ordered them from Amazon. One (Mirror Dance) is a new paperback, $8, and since we have a Prime membership (!?!?), no shipping. The other (Vorkosigan's Game) was a used hardback for $4 plus $4 for shipping. So $8 each, or $16 all told, which is rather more than I like to pay, but I was desperate, and I didn't want to drive anywhere.

Vorkosigan's Game looks like a Book-Of-The-Month-Club edition. It's a hardback, but printed on cheap paper, and it seems to be a combination of parts of two other books. The bigger first half holds The Vor Game, and the smaller second half contains Borders of Infinity, which is really three separate stories:
  • The Mountains of Mourning
  • Labyrinth
  • The Borders of Infinity
joined together by being part of an extended interview of Miles (the protagonist) by his boss. Funny how the title of the third story is surrounded by quote marks, but the other two titles are not (which is just how they appear in the book).

I read this one straight through, but when I started on the second one I lost interest. Demon's pacified, I returned to beating me head against the wall.

Great stuff.

Update February 2017 replaced missing image.

No comments: