Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Non-Verbal Communication

Not too long ago I read a story about how Michelle Bachmann, a Republican political candidate for something or other  (I think that was her name) was crazy but how hordes of people just loved her anyway. At first I just dismissed her followers as being stupid, ignorant morons, but something about that bothered me. All kinds of people say and do all kinds of crazy things. And then I realized, it isn't just what she says, it's the whole package, it's how she says it, it's her tone of voice, it's her attitude, it's how she carries herself, how she acts, how she presents herself. Politics is basically show business and she's an excellent performer.

Then I got to thinking about all the rabble rousing right wing redneck jackasses on TV and on the radio, and I realize it's the same thing. Somewhere I heard that 90% of all inter-personal communication is non-verbal, and that's what's going on here. What they are saying is only 10% of the message. Even in radio, the tone of voice, the delivery, and implied sub-text carry as much meaning as whatever actual words are voiced.

But the real revelation was when I realized that the calm, collected, rational, persuasive left wing comedians on TV are doing exactly the same thing. Their style is different, but the style is 90% of the message. The words are only a small fraction of what is being communicated.

In any case, left wing, right wing, centrist or wacko, the whole point is to be entertaining, and if they are persuading anyone of anything, it's that their style, the style they already subscribe to, is the right one.

Update: Equal time for opposite slant. I realized that my caricature of the right-wing and left-wing media stars might detract from my message, so I have rewritten those sections to have equal and opposite spin. Let me know what you think.


Then I got to thinking about all the rabble rousing left wing libtard jackasses on TV, and I realize it's the same thing.

But the real revelation was when I realized that the calm, collected, rational, persuasive right wing pundits on TV are doing exactly the same thing.

Hi ho! The merrio!

No comments: