Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, September 6, 2021

Four-Wheel Drive Linkage; Complete


The Banana Gets Last Upgrades For Secret California Rescue!
Matt's Off Road Recovery

Trevor's explanation of the four-wheel drive lever linkage (just after the 5 minute mark) earned a couple of expletives and big laugh. 50 years ago doing work like this was like going to the moon. You had to have all this equipment and the space. All that equipment cost a pretty penny, and space to work was, well, possible, but tools cost like gold. Now every yahoo in the world has a shop full of fancy tools. I don't blame them one bit. If I wasn't as old and, sorry to say, as feeble as I am, I would have every tool in the book. At one point in my life I was buying tools. That was when I was in Austin and I got my first or maybe my second job programming computers. Now I had enough extra money I could buy all the tools I wanted, well, all the tools I really wanted, beginning programmers wages weren't all that.

That lasted a couple of years and then I got married and the economics changed. Tools only got bought if they allowed me to do something that needed doing and it would save me some money,

Black & Decker RANGER Cordless 6.0 Volt Drill/Driver


I have a love / hate relationship with battery powered tools. My wife got me my first battery powered drill a zillion years ago. It was a little Black & Decker and it was great! It made me so happy. 

Makita Cordless Drill

Years passed and someone in my family got me a Makita cordless drill for Christmas. I might have been my kids, but it was more likely my wife. The Makita opened up a whole new world. It was at least ten times as capable as the Black & Decker. The Makita had a removable battery, the Black & Decker did not. They both used Nicad batteries which are pitiful compared to today's lithium cells, but at the time it was heaven.

I grew up with cords. I worked residential wood framing for a couple of years out of high school and we were all about cords and sometimes hoses (for nail guns). No battery power for us. It was string a couple hundred feet of extension cords in the morning and roll up those same extension cords at the end of the day.  That was the way that it was. You needed to carry the saw across the floor, you had to drag the cord and flip it around to clear whatever obstacles it got hung up on, but you did that while you were walking, you didn't let it you slow you down. If it did get hung up, that was an opportunity for everyone else to stop and watch you get out of your predicament. They were judging you, of course. Did you fuck up, or was it really one of those unexpected twists that could ensnare any one of them? And then there was your recovery. Was in handled masterfully, or did you muff it? Subtle shit going on in construction crews.


1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I hired a crew to reshingle my roof a couple months ago. I was amazed at the compressors for the staple and nail guns. They weren't much bigger than a lunch box and used lightweight clear hoses that looked to be 3/8" OD.