Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Gun Related Deaths

Gun Related Deaths in the U.S.

I like this chart. It contrasts reality with what is commonly believed. It breaks down firearms deaths into four distinct categories. The narrow dark blue bars show the actual percentage of deaths while the wide, light blue bars show what is generally believed. 

Problem is that no one wants to hear about suicide, it's too depressing. You get too depressed, you might want to kill yourself, so we don't go down that road. Mass shootings, now that's something we can get excited about. Oh my gawd! That's just awful! What if that happened here? Somebody should do something! Never mind the actual numbers, it's the psychos that draw our attention.


P.S. The original chart was an animated GIF. That struck me as silly. Maybe it works for some people, but I didn't like it, so I grabbed a screen shot and cropped it.


1 comment:

xoxoxoBruce said...

I agree a graph is better than an animation.
Public perception of having a gun it the neighborhood means it will be sneaking around at night looking for victims is becoming all too common. I suppose it's fear of the unknown.
But having a couple dozen guns in the house all these years and haven't been shot once, puts me at ease.