Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, August 5, 2022

Disco

Sister Sledge, from left: Tanya Ti-et, Camille Sledge, Debbie Sledge, Thaddeus Sledge, David Sledge

Got a haircut at Bebe Salon the other day. My wife isn't happy with the haircuts I get from barbers, so I go to Bebe for my haircuts. Had to wait a bit so I'm looking through the magazines that are lying on the table. The first couple I picked up (Time and Cosmopolitan) were just garbage, but I dig a little deeper and found copies of Harper's Bazaar and W. Gives me a chance to see what is going on on other planets and some of the stuff is strange indeed. These high fashion magazines are full of advertisements for designer brands and it occured to me that women spend an inordinate amount of time and money on their appearance. Well, duh, of course they do. I've known that for a long time, but it's such a fixture of human society that I don't pay it any mind. It's just a fact of life, like gravity. But then I pick up magazines like these, or walk down the makeup aisle in the drugstore on my way to pick up a prescription and I realize it all over again. It's just insane. Men aren't any better, it's just their insanity shows up in the form of fancy toys like cars and boats.

So I'm paging through W and I come across a photo essay about music families and the leading picture (at top) is Sister Sledge. Whoa! Haven't heard that name in a long time. They had some big hits like We Are Family back in the 70s and 80s. I pull up We Are Family on YouTube, it's a nice enough tune, but it doesn't grab me, but it does remind me of another tune from the same era:


(Patti) LaBelle - Lady Marmalade (1975) HD 0815007
Olga0815007

Lady Marmalade came out in 1974.

1 comment:

queequeg said...

Those were good times...until they weren't.