Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, August 5, 2022

Background Music

Euphoria Album Cover

My wife and I watch a couple hours of Netflix most nights. Many shows have scenes that have background music. That music mostly passes below my conscious attention but sometimes one or both of us will notice. I came across this story in W magazine the other day:

Behind the Music of TV’s Top Shows by Brooke Marine

It's not an earth-shattering tale, but it does give a little insight into what goes into choosing the tunes to incorporate into a show's soundtrack. I put the songs mentioned in that article into a YouTube playlist. I don't think there is a single one in there that I like, but then I haven't seen most of the shows Brooke mentions either.

When you are trying to set the tone or mood of a scene, the most appropriate music may not be something you would actually want to listen to. People are funny that way, well, at least I am.


1 comment:

Northbound Blue Volvo said...

One of my favorite shows is Death in Paradise. And I love the theme music: "You're Wondering Now". Here's an early version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCauTs8brmI.
Every few seasons, the show got a new DI, and a different vesion of the song. We are now on Season 11 and that version is excellent, especially if you like Hammond organ music. I could not fnd it online. Here's an article about it: https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/death-in-paradise-theme-tune-new-music-soundtrack-exclusive/.