Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, August 27, 2022

E-mail Subscriptions

IAman pointed out that the e-mail subscription service I had setup a zillion years ago wasn't working. Until then I didn't know anyone was using it. I got a notice a couple of weeks ago from a different e-mail service letting me know that feedburner had expired, expired as in died, not just that my subscription had run out. Evidently the email widget I stuck in the sidebar umpteen years ago (using Blogger's edior) was tied into feedburner

Well, now that he has mentioned it I suppose I ought to go fix it, I mean, how else are my pearls of wisdom going to be disseminated?

I also thought about adding the little toolbar that allows you to 'share' a post on any number of ways.

I'm starting to break out of my old haunts, looking around to see what's out there, like Twitter. I don't follow Twitter, but I notice that some of the news stories I come across quote from Twitter, and some of those quotes notable. So I got to thinking maybe I should cast some loaves upon the water and see if anything comes up from out of the deep and snatches one. Kind of like virtual catch and release of marlin.

Meanwhile we are in the throus of finishing the new house, my back is being a pain and I haven't made any progress on my space travel computations. I did get distracted by a 35 mm German anti-aircraft gun. Self-propelled, it might be called the Geperd. It shoots a zillion shells a minute, but it only carries enough ammo to shoot for a few seconds, so whenever it does fire it needs to be dead certain about where it's pointing. That certainty is composed of two parts - aiming and pointing. The first involves figuring out where you want the gun to be pointed, which means knowing where the target aircraft is, its speed and where it's headed, and the ballistics of the gun. The second part means moving the gun barrel around so it's pointing where the first part says we should be pointing.That doesn't sound so hard, just some gears and an electric motor, until you consider the high degree of accuracy you will need. A zillionth of a degree at 5,000 yards is the difference between a hit and a miss. I suppose that's what the high rate of fire is all about - make your best guess about where your target will be, and make your best guess as where your barrel is pointing, throw a dozen rounds downrange and pray.


No comments: