Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, September 28, 2026

My Watch Stopped


Of all the gin joints in all the world
Andrew Barbin

I'm reading A Gentleman in Moscow, a novel by Amor Towles, and on page 398 I find this passage:

But having snuck into the room of this American and arranged for a message to be delivered, it suddenly struck the Count that Humphrey Bogart would never turn down an offer of a drink after midnight. In fact all evidence suggested that Bogart preferred his drinking after midnight - when the orchestra had stopped playing, the bar stools had emptied, and the revelers had stumbled off into the night. That was the hour when, with the saloon doors closed, the lights turned low, and a bottle of whiskey on the table, Men of Intent could speak without the distractions of love and laughter.

P. S. The volume on the above clip is very low, so I looked around for a do-dad that could boost the volume and found YouTube Volume Control 2.4.1, a Chrome browser extension. Coincidentally, the Ctrl-Shift-Left Arrow key combination quit working. (I use this when I want to highlight several words.) Was it a coincidence? I have run into problems with the keyboard before where something that used to work just fine quits. Surely I would have made a note in this blog about it, but look as I might, either here or on Google, I could find nothing that would explain it, which seemed really odd. And then I came across this piece, and boom, we're back at the volume control extension. Turn it off and Ctrl-Shift-Left Arrow resumes working normally.

P. P. S.  My watch has also stopped, but I still wear it. If I don't wear it my hand feels funny. It was never a very good watch for telling time, it's a chronometer with some extra dials cluttering up the face which makes telling the time kind of iffy. I use my phone for the time now, so my watch is just jewelry. Some people like gold and diamonds because of their value. I like my Aluminum watch as it is a lovely example of  the fine art of mechanical engineering.

No comments: