![]() |
| Leijdekkers at the New Year’s service. |
Bayou Renaissance Man has a fabulous post about one Jos Leijdekkers. Go read the whole thing.
Sounds very African to me...
I'm amused to read about a Dutch drug hitman who has apparently "captured" the entire African nation of Sierra Leone, effectively making its government and security forces dance to his tune.
There isn't a movie about this guy yet, thought I expect there will be one in the works shortly, if it hasn't already happened. Meanwhile we have a tune:
Leijdekkers is celebrated in krio rap, the English-based creole spoken in Sierra Leone—“Ar change di game e name lek Umar Sheriff” runs a lyric of Drizilik’s recent hit “Sabi Road”. . .
Drizilik’s recent hit “Sabi Road” is on YouTube. It's not bad, and it's pretty entertaining. As a change from what passes for popular music here, there was nothing overtly sexual and no swearing, just talkin', which is just rap is, right? Well, at least as near as I can tell. The cant they use is like a distant third cousin to English. I tried embedding the video but Drizilik won't allow it.
Not sure who this Umar Sheriff is, is he talking about Omar Sheriff? No, that's just me being old. We're talking about Africa, not the west, so he's no doubt talking about:
Mohammad Umer (1955 – 2021), known professionally as Umer Shareef, was a Pakistani actor, host, comedian, director, producer, writer, singer and television personality.
On no evidence at all, I suspect Umer of being Pakistan's James Bond.
P. S. I haven't read the article linked by the photo caption. It's late and I've got a lot of nonsense to deal with.
P. P. S. YouTube has an apparently infinite selection of videos on Jos. I'm probably not going to watch any of them. I have seen his story told in an endless series of crime sagas on Netflix. It will probably appear on our Netflix home page. I'm sure Google and Netflix are in cahoots. Right now, I'm busy watching Strategist Kanbei, which is all about Samurais in sixteenth century Japan. Coincidentally, My Daily Kona has been posting about Samurai.


No comments:
Post a Comment