Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Failure To Communicate

So I pull up "Bad Dogs and Such" to see what's going on in Iraq and the 2nd thing I see is this:



My immediate reaction is @#$% Iraqi #$%^, etc. In the comments I found this explanation from Abby: I asked my terp when I took it, and he said it was "something like to not shoot the medical persons."

Okay, Gerber had a hard time selling baby food in Africa, because in Africa they put a picture of what is inside the can on the outside of the can. So Gerber putting a picture of a happy baby on the outside didn't really help their sales in Africa. Or so the story goes anyway.

So maybe this is a cultural thing, like everything else about the Mid-East. Black is white, good is bad, stupid is smart.

I don't buy it.


Update December 2016 replaced missing image.


1 comment:

Abby said...

It IS one of the things we struggle with - the lack of Arabic language skills in the Army. We have our terps translate graffiti and all sorts of stuff for us, but there IS a decent chance they're not telling us the truth. :) Lends a little uncertainty to EVERYTHING