Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Obama is a jerk

When Obama got elected and Verizon dropped their Robocop phone answering system, I was pretty pleased. Maybe this Obama guy will be okay. But today I got a letter marked "Returned To Sender". It was an envelope I had dropped in the mail earlier this week that was addressed to my bank. The sticker on the envelope says "CORRECT ADDRESS ERROR". What address error? I addressed it the way I always do:
Sumdoods Bank
97175-3200
If you want to be persnickety, and evidently they do, the correct address is:
Sumdoods Bank
P.O. Box 3200
Beaverton, Oregon 97175-3200
If you know the zip code, you really don't need the city and state. That is just window dressing. And it looks to me like that zip code goes to one, and only one P.O.Box. So putting the P.O.Box number in the address is redundant, and redundant is stupid. For the last eleventeen years it has been redundant. And now all of sudden it's not? Must be that new guy in the White House. Jerk.


Elvis Presley - Return To Sender [Video]
Reigh Phillip Clayton channel


Elvis Presley. Man, is this song old. It even sounds old. I thought for sure somebody had covered it, but I found nothing. I'll bet Mr. Dustbury would know. I'll have to ask him.

The video was just a static picture, so I thought I would see if I could cut the video portion off and save some space on the screen. As you see, I could. There is a width and height specified in the html, twice. I set the height to 25, which is just enough space for the control bar. Of course, it probably doesn't do anything about the bandwidth requirements. The whole video stream is still being shipped to your computer, but you don't see it. Not that there was anything to see.

Update December 2016 increased height of embedded video to 100 pixels to make it playable. Evidently something had changed that made the old code unplayable.
Update July 2022 replaced missing video.

2 comments:

CGHill said...

"Return to Sender" has not been covered often, and has never been a US chart hit for anyone other than Elvis. (Henri Salvador put out a French version as "Retour au porteur.") Dave Edmunds reportedly did a version in 1994, but it wasn't on his '94 album Plugged In, and I haven't heard it.

Chuck Pergiel said...

Henri Salvador's version