Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon


I really enjoyed this book. Easy to read, it sucked me right in. Did not take long to finish it. Tells the story of a high-functioning autistic man with a special talent for working with computer models that is being utilized by a pharmaceutical company.

His description of himself and what he observes as compared to what normal people observe reminds me a great deal of myself and my wife. I count things and look for patterns in wallpaper and floor tiles. My wife is very much a people person.

I suspect I got burned out on people early on. I used to talk to all kinds of people, but I found that many of the people I talked to were not worth talking to. Angry, resentful, or just plain wacko. I got tired of it, and once I started discriminating against people who were just a waste of time, it became easier to cut off more people.

Update November 2015. Replaced missing picture.

No comments: