Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Cadillac Dream

I dreamt I was trying to maneuver a really long Cadillac. The situation was kind of like a parking lot, but the lanes were painted like a game board (like Life or Monopoly or something). There was a U-Turn on a part of the board that had been folded up so it was almost vertical. I was trying to keep the speed up so the car would not fall off the board, but slow enough that I could negotiate the turn, AND keep the car within bounds. I almost made it through cleanly, but the left front tire drifted over the line just as we were completing the corner and crushed some painted-on flowers.

I must have had to drive the whole circuit two or three times, because I went through that same corner two or three times. Then I was turning right into the exit lane, which was as long as one side of the board. At the end of the lane the path bore to the left, off the board and between two sets of black posts (like you see in parking lots to keep people from driving into the stores). So I make a right turn at the corner of the board and into the entrance to the exit lane. The car starts around this corner and proceeds down the exit lane, but the car is longer than the exit lane!

While the back end of the car is still negotiating the right turn, the nose needs to start turning left to negotiate the path between the posts. So do I keep turning right, or start turning left? The answer is start turning left, because, just like in a cartoon, the body of the car is behaving just like a snake and bending around the corners.

No comments: