Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, March 19, 2010

Vision

Michigan Mike writes:
I was getting down to my last pair of glasses. Years ago I had found a certain Nikon branded frame that I liked, and bought several pairs, and have never found others that suited me. I just got used to them I guess.

I have slight nearsightedness, but my last pair of glasses was a stronger prescription; I used them originally for night driving. They were not really suitable for sitting in a classroom, as I couldn't read my books or notes but I could see the board.

One morning I found a new contact lens in an unopened container and put it in one eye to see how it works. Everyone says at this age your eyes get dry and you can't wear contacts. It worked fine, no problems.

I went for an eye exam, and tried bi-focal contacts, but they didn't work for me. They went out of focus for a few seconds each time I blinked. I got a prescription for single vision contacts in 2 powers (Pretty close to each other)

I now regularly wear one contact in one eye, and alternate days which eye it goes in. I can see distance as well as reading. It simply works very well. 2 contacts is unnecessary. The alternating lets me feel I'm achieving some balance.

I was a bit concerned that it would make me schizoid, but the science says it's okay, that the brain compensates visually and favors the sharper image.

In fact, it's made me a little happier.
I had never heard of bi-focal contacts. Me, I have several pairs of cheap reading glasses I keep around, one pair of Costco bifocals that I have to be careful with or the lens pops out of the frame, and one old pair of distance glasses that I wear to the movies.

No comments: