Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Temporal Thermometer

I went to the doctor today and they had a new widget, a Temporal Thermometer.

ADC ADTEMP 427 Temple Touch
No, it does not measure the temperature of time. It takes your temperature, just like your ordinary oral thermometer does, but it uses a different technique. It uses an infrared detector placed over your temple. (The temple of your head, not where you go to church, you troglodyte.) There is an artery there called the temporal artery, which connects directly to the cartoid artery in your neck, which connects directly to the aorta, which is connected to your heart. So if your heart is pumping, there is blood, hot from the interior of your body right near the surface of your skin. This thermometer reads the IR emissions and converts it to a temperature.

Me checking my pulse on my skull
You can feel your pulse there. Here I am doing just that. It's the best way I could think of to show just where this spot is. Near as I can tell, this also about where the artery goes inside your skull where it anastomoses (new word, means connects back up with. Probably never use it again.) with the internal carotid artery.

The IR technique was pioneered by Dr. Francesco Pompei and his Exergen company.

Update November 2016 replaced missing pictures.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I could say that it's good, but I will still prefer to have the non-contact infrared thermometer that measures temperature through the forehead. It's like a temporal thermometer, but the difference is it can measure without touching or swiping your forehead.


http://thermee.org

Beverly said...

Did you know that the latest non-contact infrared technology allows fast and accurate readings without disturbing your little one? I’m happy because this thermometer is now available in the market. I personally guarantee Thermee By GingerKids is a perfect choice!