Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Friday, September 4, 2020

Effing Computers

Foxfier is talking about troubles with their blogging editor. I have been having a lot of trouble with Bloggers new editor. I thought I would comiserate, so I tried to leave a comment:

Re: “I don’t mind the idea of paying a few bucks a month, and have been playing with the idea for a while. $25 a year is in the ha-ha-ha-NO zone”. $2 a month is too much? Am I missing something?

I’m paying YouTube $12 a month to avoid the ads and $15 a month to Netflix and I think I’m easily getting my moneys worth. I’m also paying $200 a month for cable TV which is a chunk of change but it keeps peace in the house.

Blogger (Google’s blogging tool) has a new editor too, and that’s what I thought you were talking about. It has all kinds of problems, like half of the old stuff that used to work doesn’t and everything else is just different.

But when I click on [POST COMMENT] it wants me to login, which I attempt to do, except I have no idea what my Wordpress password is, and Chrome has never been able to keep track of my passwords for Wordpress never mind that it lost all of my passwords last weekend. Okay, so I type fuckyouwordpress because I vaguely remember that was what I entered for a password the last time this happened and it comes back with:

Duplicate comment detected; it looks as though you’ve already said that!
So I don't know if my comment got posted or not, so I hit the back arrow (top left in browser's tool bar) and there is my comment in the editing window, but when I try to copy it, two thirds of it disappears.

Okay, Wordpress, you skank, I can get around this. Click on forward arrow and then back arrow and then instead of just highlighting the text I want, I 'save the page' (clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right corner of the browser gets you a menu, two-thirds of the way down there is More tools. Click that and you get another menu. Save page as is the first entry there.) Pull up the web page in a text editor and now I can search for, find, highlight and copy my comment and paste it here.

I suppose this is what you should expect from free services. We're just lucky they work at all.


No comments: