Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, February 28, 2021

Smokey and the Bandit


How BUFORD T. JUSTICE (Jackie Gleason) spoke in code to his assistant while on SMOKEY & THE BANDIT!
LandumC goes there

I was talking to my oldest the other day about movies, shoot we talk about movies or TV shows every time I see him, and that might be why I watched this video. It caught my eye with the 'spoke in code' phrase in the title. I was imagining Jackie was doing this while they were filming and I am wondering how could he be doing any speaking that wasn't in the script and not get in trouble for it? Okay he's Jackie Gleason, even if he did screw up, the most he might earn from the director would be a scowl and they just shoot the scene again. But hey,  he's Jackie Gleason, and Jackie's a smart guy. If anyone could do this he would be the one. Now I'm speculating on how he could do this, could he be substituting words in his lines, or maybe just changing the pronunciation with inflection, accent or slurring? Alas, nothing so esoteric, he was simply using 'hamburger' for 'vodka' when he asked his assistant to get him drink. It shows up about halfway through the video for maybe 30 seconds. Its clickbait, basically. And yeah, it worked.

But for some reason this video just sucked me in. The bit about Coors beer is something I was telling my kids about recently, who knows why. And then there's Alfred Hitchcock, which was a big surprise. But I guess maybe the kind of movies you are good at making are not the kind of movie you enjoy watching. Anyway there was enough trivia to keep me entertained for a few minutes. 

Burt and Sally were in four movies together, I had heard of three of them, but I didn't recognize the fourth, so I went looking. Didn't help that I was looking for The Inn when what I should have been looking for was The End.

The narrator's delivery is a little slow paced with unexpected short pauses, but he tells a coherent tale and his delivery is clear and audible (is that how you say loud enough?), so he gets posted here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love LandumC's content; I'm sorry that comments aren't allowed.

Chuck Pergiel said...

He must have a zillion videos up. 57 million views! Criminently.