Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Saturday, April 24, 2021

Brave New World, Motherfuckers

Former post office workers celebrate outside the Royal Courts of Justice, London, after having their convictions overturned by the Court of Appeal - PA Media

Ever since COVID-19 hit, I've been seeing stories coming out of the UK about their draconian enforcement measures, and every time I heard one of those stories I said 'I'm glad I don't live there'. Of course the stories you hear on the internet are often extreme examples of bad behavior and may not be giving you an accurate portrayal of the situation.

But this one! Good Lord almighty, the Queen needs to bring the smack down on the Postmaster General (or whatever they call him over there). Hanging would be too good.

The gist of it is that the UK post office was using some bullshit accounting software, and the jackasses in charge concluded postal workers were stealing, so they prosecuted, convicted  and jailed them.

Many of the crime shows we watch these days start with simple crimes and work their way to corruption in high places. Once upon a time I used to think these plots were pure fiction, concocted for our entertainment. Now I am thinking they are more like documentaries except that in the TV shows the heroes prevail and the villains get punished.

This story came to me from RT, but on the chance it was pure Putin propaganda, I Googled it and got a bunch of results. The BBC is not completely trustworthy, but they haven't been completely discredited, so I used their photo. RT's story has more teeth.



No comments: