Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, February 14, 2022

Just Another Bit of Useless Information

If wishes were horses

We were talking to some friends the other day and somehow the word 'subjunctive' came up. We'd all heard the word before, but nobody seemed to have a clear idea of what it meant, so I sent myself a text message and now I am investigating.

Merriam-Webster has the best explanation:

English has three moods. The indicative mood is for stating facts and opinions like "That cat is fabulous." The imperative mood is for giving orders and instructions (usually with an understood subject, you), as in "Look at that fabulous cat." The subjunctive mood is for expressing wishes, proposals, suggestions, or imagined situations, as in "I wish I could look at that fabulous cat all day."

English has moods? Who knew? Not me. Anyway, there you have it.


No comments: