Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Gaudeamus Igitur


Gaudeamus Igitur - André Rieu
André Rieu

We were talking at lunch today about we chose our majors in college. Jack tells us he started out in physics but found it wasn't for him. Then he tried a chemistry course where he started messing about with analog-to-digital converters and digital-to-analog convertors, which necessitated some computer programming. He's learning to program the computer and eventually programs it to play Gaudeamus Igitur. Dennis and I had never heard of this tune even though it seems to something of a fixture in the world of classical music. So much for the Arts portion of my education.

I'm watching this performance (in the above video), and it hits me that an orchestral performance is about more than just the music. It is about how we are all part of the same pack - look at what we can achieve when we all work together. It helps reinforce our sense of community, our membership in the pack. That might be part of the reason I never much cared for classical music, I never felt like part of that pack.

I've never seen dresses like those being worn by the women in the front row, at least not while performing in an orchestra. They're quite spectacular.


No comments: