Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Oshlun Circular Saw Laser

Oshlun LG-M01 Miter and Portable Saw Laser

Osmany bought a very fancy miter saw maybe a year ago. He got a heck of a deal on it, but it didn't have a laser. A laser is very helpful, especially if you are doing fine work, which is mostly why you have one of these fancy saws in the first place. If you're doing rough work, you can bring the saw down until the blade starts to impact the wood. Once you see where the blade is hitting, you can correct the position of the wood if necessary. If you're doing rough work, like framing, a knick here or there is no big deal. Not so with finish work, any nick in the wrong place is going to add time and money to your project. A laser is the way to go.

So I've looking for an add on laser like the ones that the new saws come with and I'm not finding much. There's some out there, but not the particular model designed for this particular saw. I'm not going to try adapting one from another saw. I mean, I'm sure it can be done, but I don't want to waste my time doing that if I could just find one that would bolt on. And then I found the Oshlun. It's just brilliant! Simply replace the washer that holds the blade on to the spindle of your circular saw with Oshlun Laser and you're golden, er, red. It helps if you know whether the screw that hold the blade on is left hand thread or not. First saw I tried it on was giving me fits until I snapped that maybe it was a left hand thread. Dang blasted commies. 

The Oshlun is equipped with a centrifugal switch so the laser comes on as soon as the blade starts spinning and shuts off when it's done. It runs off 3 little coin cells. I don't know how long they will last, but I suspect you would need to cutting a bunch of wood before they need to be replaced. And the device comes with a set of spares. 

The red line is brilliant. Here's a couple of video excerpts that show it:

2 comments:

KurtP said...

OR-
Being a cheap f*ck like I am-
You could try a scrap piece of wood and get it set right before you do the "good" piece.

Chuck Pergiel said...

That won't work unless your scrap piece is the same size as your good piece AND you have a stop set up. No thank you. It might be worthwhile if your time is worth nothing. Mine isn't worth much, but it's not nothing. $30 for a laser is cheap at twice the price.