Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, June 20, 2022

Eileen Sheridan (cyclist)

Eileen Sheridan

Eileen was quite the cyclist:

Eileen Sheridan on her record-breaking ride from Land’s End to John O’Groats in 1954. She did the 842 miles in 2 days 11 hours and 7 minutes. - daily timewaster

Google estimates it would take you a bit longer:

Land’s End to John O’Groats via bicycle
(83 hours)

A commenter on daily timewaster tells us she road a Hetchins bicycle. Sheldon Brown has one.

Curly Stays on a Hetchins bicycle

The curly stays might be unique. I've never seen the like before. Back when I used to ride bicycles, I was taking to a guy at the local bike shop and he's telling me that he finds a steel frame bicycle is more comfortable to ride, possibly because the steel flexes and aluminum frames don't. I never noticed, but then I was pretty much focused on just getting one more turn of the pedals. I was never a powerful rider.

Hetchins is also known for their fancy lugwork:

Hetchins custom handlebar stem

According to Wikipedia, Eileen is only 4'11" tall and is still alive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Took me almost 21 hours on a motorcycle using back roads, avoiding motorways, and obeying UK speedlimits in 2014.