Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Router Hacking


I Hacked This Amazon Router. What I Found Should be Illegal.
Low Level

I really enjoyed this video, not because I want to hack a router, but because this is exactly the kind of work I used to do when I worked iRMX support at Intel. It was like old home week. I haven't heard anybody talk nuts and bolts about computers for a long time. 

At Intel I was dealing with people (customers) who had bought a bunch of boards, stuffed them into card cages, connected them up to who knows what kind of industrial machinery, written a mountain of code, and then called us when it didn't work. Most problems that came to me I was able to sort out with what I could find at my desk, but the acute cases meant working with a crusty old electrical engineer and setting up a system with some kind of electronic test equipment so we could watch electrical signals on lines on the board. There were in-circuit emulators, which were cool, but we never really needed to go there. Look at the code in the debugger, set breakpoints, let it run and watch the lines. From that we had to deduce what the problem was. Learned a lot about computers back then.

No comments: