Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Airplane of the Day - English Electric Canberra


Farewell to the Canberra
Joluqa Malta


I've come across the Canberra before, but it never stood out as anything special. However, a couple of days ago I came across a story about a 1953 mission photographing a secret Russian rocket research facility and my interest was piqued. I hope to put up a post about that mission, but you know how things don't always go as planned, so we have this as a stop gap.

I kind of wondered about the name, I mean the English are weird that way sometimes. Here it's kind of prosaic. ". . . it was given the name Canberra after the capital of Australia in January 1950 by Sir George Nelson, chairman of English Electric, as Australia had become the aircraft's first export customer."

Update February 2021 the Canberra has been retired, so this video is at least 15 years old.
Update January 2022 replaced video with one that might be the same. It's from the same guy. The original is available on a Persian channel: Classic British Aircraft English Electric Canberra


No comments: