Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Thursday, December 24, 2020

Unbranded Cattle

What an unbranded cow has cost - Frederic Remington, 1895

I came across this image while watching a video about the Erie Canal. I don't recall ever seeing anything like it. I suspected it was by Frederic Remington, and Google's Image Search confirmed it.
Loosely inspired by the "cattle wars" of the 1880s and 1890s, in which wealthy cattle barons gradually displaced independent homesteaders and small-scale ranchers, Frederic Remington's painting depicts the deadly aftermath of a shootout over the ownership of an unbranded cow. - Yale Art Museum
I recently read a post that talked about a man who didn't brand his cattle, but I can't find it now.

P.S. A comment reminded me that Samuel Maverick was the man with the unbranded cattle. I still can't find the post but here is a longish history of the man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Samuel Maverick