Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, January 1, 2024

Agostino Ramelli


How an ingenious 400 year old drawing predicted the future
Machine Thinking

A zillion years ago Agostino Ramelli invents the swashplate water pump. The first half of the video is great, but the second half where he's fumbling with A/C compressor it a little slow. Got to give him credit for wandering into an unfamiliar area. Anyways, back to the swashplate. 60 years ago GM built a swash plate compressor that brought modern cold A/C to the car.
1962 GM A/C compressor

Here's a guy who knows what he's doing making short work of a similar compressor.


car ac compressor repair and how it works
Techweb CCN

The Mark 46 Torpedo uses a swashplate engine. I think torpedoes were the first application of the swashplate I ever heard of.

Mark 46 Torpedo Engine Display Model


I think some hydrostatic drives, typically used in tractors, also use swashplates. I don't think I've ever used one, so I'm going to stop here. Before I turn into a pumpkin.

Update two days later replaced missing video with image.

No comments: