Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, September 15, 2008

Age Liberation


I was talking to my cousin Saturday night and he pointed out that it is probably my age that is keeping me from getting hired. Once I heard this, I felt much better. It would explain why I haven't been hired. I have had numerous interviews over the last year and most of them I thought went pretty well, but I have yet to land a job. Of course I suspected that my age could be a problem, but somehow I did not think it would be. I mean how do you get 20 years of experience without getting older? If they did not want someone old, they should have read the flipping resume.

If this is indeed the case, it at least helps explain some of the dumb-sh** questions I would get at interviews. Things like "have you ever driven a green '63 Chevy?". Well, yes, I have driven Chevys, and I am pretty sure one of them was a '63. But was it a GREEN '63 Chevy? Well, no, actually, I don't think it was. Oh, well, OBVIOUSLY you are not qualified for this job. We need someone who has experience driving green '63 Chevys.

Of course, the questions were never actually about cars or their color, but they were similar in function. They did not want to hire me, and they needed to put an X in the "does not meet requirement" box.

Anyway, I am 57 years old, so feel free to exclude me from consideration for employment. However, if you want someone who really knows how computers work and can make the most recalcitrant beasts jump through the required hoops, give me a call. I would be glad to talk to you about how I can help you with your problems.

No comments: