Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Barbeque

I am not big on cooking, but I will grill a steak or some hamburgers if the weather is decent. I use a charcoal grill ostensibly because it makes the meat taste better than if you use one of those gas grills. On the other hand it could be because I am too cheap to buy one of those fancy schmancy gas grills.

Weber Charcoal Grill
I have an old Weber that I bought at a garage sale for $5. It replaced one my wife got from one of her roommates when we lived in Texas. It eventually deteriorated to the point where it needed repair or replacement, and $5 for a grill in good condition was too good a deal to pass up.


The Weber isn't perfect. The grill is at a fixed height over the charcoal, so no matter what you are cooking you need a heap of charcoal to make a big enough fire to reach the food. If the grill height was adjustable you could save on charcoal for smaller cookouts. It's getting old, and it does not seal that well so whatever charcoal is in there pretty much burns up every time.

The big problem with this grill (and every other charcoal grill I know of) is that cleaning out the ashes is a big pain. Why can't someone make a grill that will just drop the ashes into a bucket? I guess real practicality doesn't sell. It's the sizzle that sells the grill. Someday I will design one and have it made.

Update December 2016 removed missing picture.

No comments: