Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Searching The Web


At lunch Thursday one of the guys was telling this story about a local High School principal who assaulted his wife, and then a month later his wife ends up dead. Sounds like the plot of one of those TV murder mysteries, but supposedly it is a true story.

So I go home and consult Google and I find . . . nothing. I found some mention of the school , but nothing about the principal. So I'm thinking that whoever told my friend this story was just pulling his leg, just to see how gullible he was.

I reported my lack of success to the gang, and today I got this link back:

http://www.katu.com/news/4821811.html

which seems to validate the original story. This story has most of the key words I was looking for, but Google did not turn it up, at least not in the first couple of pages. But you will note that this story was written in 2006.

I have also been using Google to try and find solutions to the problems I have been having with Linux. This is a particularly thankless task. Seems like every little geek who has learned how to get around in Linux has put up their own forum, and copied ALL the content from all the other forums. So you get dozens of search hits for sumdood looking for an answer to the same problem you are having. All these hits are for the identical question posted on a different forum, and none of them have answers, or if they do have answers, they are four years old, which makes them pert near useless. Linux is changing so much and so fast these days that answers from this year are the only ones that are likely to help, at least for certain classes of problems. So I added "2008" to my queries and that helped, though there was at least one forum with a 2008 copyright date on information from 2005. Big dummies.

No comments: