Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, September 1, 2008

Communicate

Or rather, the failure to do so. The most famous in my mind is the scene from Cool Hand Luke with Paul Newman and Strother Martin as the warden:


Last week we had a demonstration in Luann:



A while back I had a very surprising experience on the telephone. My wife was talking to her best friend on the phone. I needed to give her friend some information. My wife hands me the phone and I hear Susan talking away. I say "Susan". No effect, she is still talking to Anne, even though Anne isn't on the phone anymore. I try again. Still no effect. I try once more but she still does not hear me. I give up and give the phone back to my wife.

Last night I was talking to my son about finances. Things like how much it costs to maintain our household, how much it costs to go to college, and of more immediate interest, why I don't have a job. He brings up American Beauty and how Kevin Spacey gets a job at flipping burgers because he wants the lowest level of responsibility.

I mention that my problem may be that I am shooting too low. On a scale of technical competence I rate ten out of ten. However, technical competence is not everything, and my people skills may not be so good. My son tells me I have all the charisma of a rock. He may have been exaggerating, but perhaps not. I have heard similar comments from other people before.

I can talk to one person at a time very well. I do not do so well with a group. My family is a good example. Their conversations just fly. One comment follows another. By the time I have registered that one person has finished and I could start talking, someone else is already speaking. I do better at Thursday lunch, but only because my friends make allowances for me. I think I do okay at interviews because it is a formal setting and people are polite, but my slow response times may be hurting me.

Since I have been so dissatisfied with the management at all the places I have worked, I am thinking maybe that is where I should be looking for a job. More work for me. Hmmph.

Update November 2015. Replace the missing Luann comic. I think I got the right one.

No comments: