Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Monday, September 15, 2008

Kids


My oldest son was home a couple of weeks ago and bought a suit. A suit! My father wore a suit to work for most of his career as an aerospace engineer, but when he bought the farm (literally) he switched to dungarees. I was in high school at the time. I have usually had some kind of jacket and I had at least one suit, but I don't think I have worn a tie more than a couple of dozen times in my life. And my son goes out and buys a suit! I was shocked, but I guess I can't complain.

My daughter joined a sorority last week. A sorority! I never even thought about it, not for her or (a fraternity) for me. One of the attractions of joining a sorority, at least at UW, is better housing. And after visiting her dorm (when we helped her move in), I can understand that. I always had the perception that fraternities and sororities were elitist and populated by braggarts and fools. I do not know where I got this impression except perhaps from movies, or possibly from always being broke.

Yesterday I took my youngest to Costco to buy a jug of juice and some jellybeans. Seems his science teacher was running a contest to guess the number of jelly beans in the jar. John decided on the direct approach, get an identical jug, fill it with jelly beans and count them. The jug was not a problem. We located several flavors of juice that used the some container. Only problem was selecting the flavor. We ended up with "pomegranate-blueberry" (!?!?!). Now we need jelly beans. He tells me we need eight pounds. Eight POUNDS of jelly beans! Good golly, miss molly. I have visions of hauling a cement bag sized bag of jelly beans over to the counter and I burst out laughing. Turns out it was (2) four pound bottles of Jelly-Belly brand jelly beans. Expensive! $15 each. But it's for science, and we can eat the results when it's all over.

Update December 2016 replaced missing picture.

No comments: