Intel's Ronler Acres Plant

Silicon Forest
If the type is too small, Ctrl+ is your friend

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Drill Bits

 

60 Piece Small Drill Bit Set

Went to drill a small hole the other day, but when I opened my drill index I found that all the little bits, i.e. those one-eighth of inch in diameter and smaller were either broken or missing. If I had ALL my drill bits I probably could have found the one I need, but my tools are scattered across three houses and this was the only index I had on hand. I've been thinking for some time that your standard drill index should have multiple copies of the smaller drill bits. The smaller they are, the more you should have. Sixteen drill bits one-sixteenth of an inch in diameter would not be too many. Anyway, I decided to rectify this situation and went to Amazon where I found this. I think it was delivered the same day I ordered it. I don't really need this many tiny bits, so I'm thinking I will break the package up into two or three sets and give the extras to my friends. As soon as I find a way to adequately package them.

99 Pieces Titanium Twist Drill Bit Set

Then I came across this set. Not quite sure why I ordered it other than 'ooo, more drill bits!'
I thought I should also order a basic set. I just wanted a standard set with round shanks, but all those sets cost more than these hex shank bits. The hex shank means you don't have to adjust the size of the opening in the chuck when you are switching between different bits or screwdriver bits, which is a bonus. Of course, now I have two different styles of drill bits. In any case I should have enough bits for a while.

Walldriller Anchors

Tried out some new wall anchors and I really like them. Supposedly you don't even need to drill a pilot hole but when I tried that it just melted the tip. Drill an eighth inch diameter pilot hole and they screw in like butter and stop with a thunk when the flange reaches the wall. They are kind of expensive, like a buck each, but they seem infinitely more solid than the typical freebees that come with the widget you just bought.

P.S. The bit about titanium means that the fancy gold coating is somehow related to titanium. The drill bits themselves are plain high-speed steel.


3 comments:

xoxoxoBruce said...

What are you putting the anchors into drywall, plaster over wood lathe, or plaster over plasterboard?

Chuck Pergiel said...

Who puts plaster over plasterboard?

Marc said...

Plaster over sheetrock was used for several years between lath an plaster and sheetrock. We've had two houses from the mid 50's built this way. BTW thanks for sharing your bits. (drill bits that is)